Pages

Friday, March 2, 2007

DC United Wins Champions Cup Tie

As much fun as it was watching United rack up goals via ever impressive Christian Gomez and new stud Emilio who no doubt is going to be the next South America star to shine for United, there are still questions to be asked, especially before a match up that has even more ramifications for an MLS team in proving its place in local international competition. The game against CD Guadalajara poses a moment for one of the MLS flagship franchises to show its ability - a more than capable one - of competing with a storied Mexican club.
From my point of view, the defense needs to be tightened up - it looks like a leaky ship that could turn into a full scale disaster against a team more capable on the finishing end. While Erpen can be an asset going forward, he scares the bejesus out of me sometimes on the defensive end. But on that note, what about the slide tackle from Namoff that looked straight out of a game of Fifa between me and my roommates when one of us gets upset - granted the reaction could go up for an Oscar, but wouldn't most good players go down when they're assured a gift?
While I love Jaime Moreno and think he is a valuable player, he looks to be playing at a painfully slow pace sometimes. Maybe something will come of this forward United is giving a trial with.
Moving on to the game against Chivas in two weeks - I know the weather was bad, and I'm not one to start a tirade about too few fans because I was stuck at school, but it would be great to see a little more support at RFK for these fans. I'll be at the Chivas game and hope that with the added weeks and maybe some sunshine we could get a good crowd out there, because if not I have a notion the game is going to turn into two home games for Chivas.
Go get your tickets.

No comments: